Friday, July 13, 2012

One of the more difficult/frustrating parts of my job

I have been blessed in my eight years as a registered massage therapist that I have had to discontinue treating very few clients.  I think there has only been one so far.  She was constantly missing appointments or cancelling at the last minute and I didn't want to put up with that, so I told her I couldn't be her therapist anymore.  She was pretty upset, but I never heard from her again, and I was happy.

Yesterday I had a client who I believe was being inappropriate.  I sort of chickened out in telling him to get lost when he was here, but he didn't reschedule, and you better believe he will never be coming to see me again.  I don't want to get into details, but he just made me feel very uncomfortable and I believe that I need to go with my instincts and discontinue treating him.  I know how his actions made me feel, though they were subtle.  In moments like this, I almost wish he had been very obviously inappropriate because then I would have no problem telling him to take a hike.  As it is, I am glad he didn't try to reschedule and if he calls me I will tell him that I am not comfortable treating him anymore and that he will have to go elsewhere.

I still feel sort of 'off' today.  I hope that this passes soon.  I think I wish I would have just dealt with telling him to go away yesterday, but now I will feel somewhat anxious as I wait to see if he will call back to reschedule.  I am glad though, that working at home, I have all the say in who I book with me.  I answer my calls and if he calls I don't have to worry about one of my coworkers booking him in with me, without realizing who it is.  Here's hoping I never hear from him again...

No comments: